Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Whatever Wednesday- DAS Card Review


This Whatever Wednesday saved our lives while at the happiest place on earth- the Disability Access Service Card.




Before I get into this review I would like to stress that THIS WAS OUR EXPERIENCE. From what I have read, not everyone gets the same outcome. I know this is very new program and still has some kinks that need to be worked out. We were there about a month after it launched also. Please keep that in mind. 

That being said, we had an EXCELLENT experience. 

Here is what the Disney Parks Blog has to say about the Disability Access Services Card (or DAS Card):



You see, Disney Jr. had a Fetal Stroke which resulted in Hemiplygia on his left side {basically left side muscle weakness}. He has severe speech delays, as well as behavior and sensory issues. He is a wonderful little dude, and has come a LOOONG way from his original diagnosis. We were looking forward to using the Guest Assistance Card to eliminate some stress and help Disney Jr. cope with what can be overwhelming situations.

You can see here the AFO on his left leg.

Now, we all know about the abuse that took place with the old system. If you don't you can read it here. Frankly, this makes my stomach turn. But that's not what I'm talking about today. I was very upset when a little more than a month before we were set to leave I had to change plans and research a very new program. With some a lot of  encouragement from my Mom I was able to keep a positive attitude and keep looking for the bright side. I asked our wonderful pediatrician {Dr. Roberta Lucas. Seriously, she's fantastic! My kids and I love her!} for a note explaining his limitations and why the new card would be helpful. With that I packed it in the planning binder and hoped for a little Disney Magic to come our way when we arrived.

We planned on spending day one at Magic Kingdom {which I have heard is the easiest place to get the card}. Right after rope drop we went straight to Guest Relations. The line was relatively short and we were speaking to a Cast Member in no time. I told her why we were there, explained what Disney Jr.'s limitations were and handed her the note from our doctor. Without even reading it she politely told me they were not allowed to accept any medical records or notes. With out any questions she said she could give us the card, and took some information from me {how long we were staying, how many in our party, Disney Jr's name and birth date, ect.}. She came around the desk and took a picture of him {I didn't even have to take him out of his stroller} with an iPad, then printed out the card and explained it to me. Also she voluntarily offered a tag to make his stroller a wheel chair.

That's it... Really? You're just..giving it to me? I don't have to fight...or argue..or anything? The stories on the internet...weren't...true?  Quick guys, lets get out of here before they change their minds!!!

I had read horror stories about how hard they were to get and we made it out that easy. I was SO THANKFUL! The card made our trip so very easy. Most of the time the line wasn't longer than 10 minutes so we were able to walk right on. All we had to do was present the card and the child and they ushered us right in. If the standard queue was longer than 10 minutes we would get a return time. Standard time minus 10 minutes.

Each time the Cast Member would give us an idea of something close that would take approximately the same amount as the wait time. For example, we filled out the DAS card for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, which had a 20 minute wait time. We had 10 minutes until we could come back and ride. The Cast Member suggest that the Mad Tea Party was right around the corner and that would be a good time filler. We all walked down there, Seth and Disney XD rode the ride {almost vomited} and then we all walked back and rode Winnie the Pooh.

Happy boy with a Mickey Ice Cream Bar.

Also, a tip-I made sure to schedule or FastPasses for rides that the Disney Jr. can't ride. While the whole party are able to use it, the DAS card recipient must be with you. And keep in mind you can only have one ride on the card at a time.

No Cast Member was ever rude or unhelpful the entire 5 days we spent in the park.  Seth made sure to flip the red wheel chair tag up as we were approaching entrances so the Cast Member could see it and wave us in.

Our tag got some wear and tear after a week of use.
 We did get a few dirty looks from parents especially when we were able to take our stroller places they weren't able to. But you know what, that is their problem. I would gladly trade you this tag for a child who can walk and talk like a normal three year old.

I have read that it is good to bring the old DAS card to streamline the process the next time you visit. I plan on doing that, and can speak to that experience when it comes.


I genuinely hope that you have the same experience we had. It made such a difference.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment