Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thrifty Thursday- Why You Should Travel in the Off Season


Saving money by going in the off season.





You can save some serious cash by booking a trip in the off season {shameless insert- I would be glad to book that trip for you! click here}-or the time of year when kids are in school. Specifically these times include:
  • The second week of January through mid February-After winter break, before spring break
  • Early May-After spring break but before school gets out.
  • Mid August through Mid November-After school is back in but before Thanksgiving Break
  • Late November through Mid December-After Thanksgiving break before Christmas Break
Now, lets talk about pros and cons. We still start with cons, you know bad news first.

CONS:

First, because kids are in school you will have to take your kids out of school {unless you don't have any in which case plan away!}. This isn't a huge deterrent for me. We get the work they will miss and work on it in the car on the way to and from. When they are closer to high school I may feel differently, but for now I'm ok with it.
Second, hurricane season is June first to November 30th peeking from mid-August to late October. I guess I like to flirt with danger because this doesn't bother me either. Since Orlando is 42 miles inland storms will most likely weaken before the reach the most magical place on earth. While the potential is still there to have some seriously bad weather, I still think this is worth the risk. Plus, Disney has a pretty good hurricane policy.
Whoa, that would suck! Hurricane Jeanne in Epcot VIA

A third con is refurbishments. With lower crowds comes more work around the park. Take a look at this article from WDW Prep School. Shannon wrote out a great chart explaining what will be closing when. 


On to the pros! 

PROS:

First reason, you can save a ton of money. Historically, Disney runs discounts these times of year. 30% off room discounts, Free Dining, Play, Stay and Dine discount have all run in these off times. On our November 2013 trip we took advantage of free dining and had a fantastic time. We went to 4 character meals over the course of the week. I can tell ya right now there is no way we could have done that if we were paying out of pocket. 

Another pro- light crowds. While there in November we didn't have a line longer than 10 minutes {we did have the DAS card but only used it about 4 or 5 times throughout the week}. Between FastPass+ and timing things the right way the lines were a breeze. The walkways weren't too crowded either. We were able to walk at our own leisurely pace, and stop to take pictures without feeling like we were stopping people behind us. Just check out this picture of the castle. With no one standing in front of it. Unheard of.

Ok, I lied. Not "no one else", but hardly anyone was standing in front of that castle. Impressive.

Lastly, the mild weather.

VIA
Seriously. I don't think I even have to say anything here. But I will. No part of me wants to wait in crazy line, walk through a packed park, and try to find a parade spot in 90 degree weather when it is GUARANTEED to rain in the afternoon.  Every. Day. The weather is so much nicer in October or November. We were still able to swim in the pool and wear shorts. I dare say there were even some hot-ish days-but nothing like the middle of the summer.

That's enough for me. I'll take my kids out of school every time and save some money to not deal with the heat and crowd! What's your opinion?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment