Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Take With You Tuesday- Laundry Detergent and Quarters


Laundry detergent saved my sanity. Seriously. Bring it with you.



I was very skeptical about bringing along detergent. Seriously, why the crap would I need that? I mean obviously to wash clothes, but I am a slacker with laundry at home. There's no way I'm doing it on VACATION! 

I was wrong, and so thankful I had it. Here's my story:

About three hours into our eight hour trip to Disney World we stopped and had a wonderful breakfast at Chic-Fil-a. We even went inside and sat down! Whoa. I was even so bold as to take this picture when we got back in the car and brag on Facebook about how wonderful things were going.

And caption it "Happy kids with happy headphones." {The head phones are adorbs though! Mike ear buds on DisneyXD and Sulley headphones on Disney Jr.}

What a fool I was. About 20 minutes after this blissful moment Disney Jr. started vomiting. I mean, crazy every where vomiting. We pulled over, cleaned him up, cleaned up the car seat, changed his clothes (with a set I was smart enough to pack in the front seat bag), tied up the dirty clothes in a mini trash bag (that I was also smart enough to pack in the front seat bag) and we were on our way. 

Till he barfed again. 

20 minutes later.  

This went on for the REST. OF. THE. DRIVE. 

Then it started raining.

Then the air conditioner stopped working. 

Five. 

Hours.

So we were trapped in a hot car that smelled like puke and couldn't roll the windows down.  It got to the point where I was just holding a cup under his chin for a solid 2 hours. Terrible.

Poor guy. I felt so bad for him. Junior has history of this kind of thing so I called the pediatrician, who called in Zofran {amazing stuff} to a CVS around the corner from out resort. That was our first stop in Orlando. Glamorous, right? Once he took the pill he was a different child. I mean, night and day! 

We checked in, then I tossed him in the bath tub before Seth even had our bags in. But not before stopping to take a picture with Surfer Goofy. We are in Disney World after all...

Look close, there's a bit of puke on his shirt.

Next was cleaning up the mess. I took EVERYTHING-including taking apart the car seat- down to the laundromat to wash and dry it. I was so thankful that I packed laundry detergent, dryer sheets, and quarters. 

How I packed it was pretty smart if I do say so myself. I used an old medicine container and poured one cap-ful of detergent in. Then market the line with a sharpie. Then added another cap-ful and drew a new line. I continued until the container was full. Turns out it held 3 loads worth of detergent, which was plenty. Even though a medicine bottle has a pretty tight seal I packed it in a ziploc bag just in case it leaked. 




The timing worked out very well. I put everything in the wash, then we walked around our resort {POP Century} and Art of Animation. We came back, put everything in the dryer, then ate dinner. By the time we were done everything was dry and we could head to our room. 

Here's a tip- There was an attendant in the laundromat while we were there taking shoes out of the dryer. I guess a lot of people put shoes in the dryer after a wet day in the park. I wouldn't suggest doing it. 

Anyway, bring laundry detergent even if you think you won't need it. Its doesn't take up a lot of space, and you will be happy to have it.

We will also never NEVER leave the house for a long road trip with out Zofran for Disney Jr. Lesson learned.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Great tip!!!! GAIN Detergent makes everything clean and smelling clean!!!! Will take on our trip in October!!!

    ReplyDelete