Thursday, August 7, 2014

Thrifty Thrusday-Laundry Detergent

Get those clothes clean! 


Thrifty Thursday isn't only about ways to save money in the park, but also at home to help you get to the park. Today is one of those Thursdays where I help you get to the park.



Excuse me while I day dream about being in The Magic Kingdom...

Ok, I'm back. I have been looking into recipes for DIY laundry detergent but have been hesitant to pull the trigger. I came across this recipe on How Does She and I love it. I have made one batch and it has worked better than I though! So how do you make it you ask?

Ingredients:
1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle.
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle
1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener- Found in the detergent aisle

Directions
1. Grate Zote soap with cheese grater or food processor.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bucket.
3. Use 2 -4 Tablespoons per laundry load.


Super simple. A few notes though.
  1. Don't forget to buy a 5 gallon bucket to mix everything in.
  2. I only used 1 bottle of Purex. I wish I have used 2. Next time..
  3. We don't have a microwave {GAAASP!}, but I have heard that microwaving the soap doesn't work. I just used a plain old cheese grater also.
So, when you read that article she mentions that this will last a year. I am washing clothes for 5 people not 2, so mine will last about 3-4 months. By her math she was spending $60 on name brand detergent a year and this costs $28. For me that would be $180 on name brand a year and this will cost $84. That means $100 of easy money to go into our Disney savings fund.
I realize that $100 doesn't sound like a lot per year but when you combine it with other money saving ideas it will add up!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment