Monday, August 11, 2014

Make Something Monday- Photo Quilt Series part 1




I'm an intermediate sewer- its a good idea to start a quilt!


Seriously y'all. I've lost my damn mind. I think its a good idea to make a quilt for my kids. Not only a quilt, a photo quilt.  I have a lot of quilters in my extended family, so if I get stuck I have a lot of people I can call to bail me out! Why not follow along with me and make your own quilt too?

First I had to decide what I wanted my photo quilt to look like. Check out these samples.

VIA

VIA

VIA
Gorgeous, amiright? But a little over my head! Maybe one day I can work up to it, but for now there's no way.I decided on something like this...

VIA
I made a few changes:
  • 6 rows across x 7 rows down- Every other square will be a picture
  • 11x11 center square featuring a large picture
  • less space between squares

Here's the pattern I drew:



So here are the tasks for Post 1

1. Gather fabric. All of the fabric featured here is from Fabric.com.


1 3/4 yards Backing- Remix Flannel Chevron Adventure
1/2 yard Binding- Kona Cotton Ash
3/4 yard Sashing- Kona Cotton Aqua

2. Wash, dry, and iron all fabric.
Self explanatory, right?

3. Pick out and properly edit all photos.
Using this pattern you will have 23 photos {22 6x6, 1 11x11}. As you can see in the pattern I drew I have already picked out my pictures and mapped out where I want them to go.

So, what do you think? Is that enough work for you? Stay tuned for the next post- cutting and photo transferring!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment